Reutech Communications, a global supplier of advanced secure tactical radio communication systems, was contracted by Armscor to develop and manufacture a range of software-defined combat net radios (CNR) to modernise the communication needs of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF).
This range is a comprehensive family of new generation military secure CNRs, associated equipment and management software covering the full spectrum of CNR requirements.
This range offers the user state-of-the-art secure voice and data network links for airborne, ground-based and naval applications, enabling the seamless interchange of information for the modern data-centric battlefield.
This family of new generation products caters for the following sub-systems, namely:
* Intra-platform communication system (IPCS) – this includes an integrated set of radios and associated equipment providing a local distribution network for typically within a landward vehicle system.
* Short-range communication system (SRCS) – this includes a handheld and vehicle mounted radios providing a local distribution network between a group of dismounted soldiers and the supporting vehicle wirelessly, operating in the UHF band.
* Medium range communications system (MRCS) – this includes a manpack, vehicle or static/fixed installation type radios providing for line of sight communications on the move for ground, naval, ground-to-air or air-to-air links, operating in the very/ultra high frequency (V/UHF) band.
* Long-range communications system (LRCS) – this includes a manpack, vehicle or static/fixed installation type radios providing for beyond line of sight communications on the move for ground, naval, ground-to-air or air-to-air links, operating in the high frequency (HF) band.
* Tactical communications management system – this includes application software platform providing communications planning, fill management, network management and configuration/tracking of equipment.
Key features of the new range include common front panel layout, embedded customisable cryptographic module, backwards compatibility with legacy equipment, simultaneous voice and data, multiple digital interfaces (Ethernet, USB, Bluetooth, Serial) and built in RFID for asset tracking.
Reutech Communications received a multi-year production contract to supply various sub-systems to the arms of services within the SANDF.
Reutech, part of the Reunert, is a group of defence companies specialising in the electronics and defence industries.