On 5 December, Navantia started the construction of two new OPVs (BAM) for the Spanish Navy, following the series of four already in service, built by Navantia from 2006 to 2012.
The ship is moderately-sized with a total length of between 90m and 95m, and displacement of 2 400-2 500 tons, a small crew and a high level of habitability.
It is a high performance ship with great versatility regarding missions, enjoys a high level of system commonality with other Spanish Navy ships, and has low acquisition and life cycle costs.
Her main missions are:
* Protection and escort of other ships;
* Control of maritime traffic;
* Control and neutralisation of terrorist actions and piracy;
* Operations against drug trafficking and the traffic in persons;
* Maritime rescue and salvage operations;
* Crisis situation support and humanitarian assistance;
* Control of fishing legislation; and
* Control of environmental and anti-pollution legislation.