Soldier killed in Senegal rocket attack

1588

Suspected separatist guerrillas killed a Senegalese soldier in a rocket attack in the restive southern province of Casamance, a security source told Reuters yesterday.

The attack on Tuesday night near the Gambian border comes after rebels killed two soldiers in clashes last month, and marks an escalation of fighting in the traditional tourist hot spot, the source said.
“An armed group attacked an army position in the village of Diaboudior with a rocket.

The soldier died when he was rushed to (the provincial capital) Ziguinchor,” the source said on condition of anonymity.
“There is a real escalation of fighting these weeks.”

Rebels of the Movement of Democratic Forces of Casamance (MFDC) have been waging a low-level insurgency since 1982 for the independence of Casamance.

Recently two retired army generals called on the central government to give more resources to the army to carry out wider sweep operations in the area, also a key grain-producing zone for the West African country.

Pic: Senegalese soldiers



Source: www.af.reuters.com