Islamist rampage leaves 20 dead

96

Islamist insurgents killed at least 20 civilians in a north-east Nigerian village, a government-allied vigilante, a government and a security source said.

The attack comes less than a month after Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari began his second term, again vowing to bring security to a country bedevilled by conflicts that have killed tens of thousands and show little sign of ending.

The militants struck the village Ngamngam in Borno state, late on Monday and left early Tuesday, the government official said, declining to be identified because they, as well as the security source, were not authorised to speak to media.

The insurgents executed at least 20 locals on their farms, while many fled to nearby Damasak, the security source said.

Bakura Kachallah, a member of the pro-government vigilante group Civilian Joint Task Force, helped evacuate the corpses of 20 or more people.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, though the security source said it was Boko Haram, rather than rival insurgency Islamic State West Africa Province.

Last week, suicide bombers killed at least 30 people in an attack on Konduga.