Fourteen dead in DR Congo attack

192

Suspected Islamist fighters killed 14 people in eastern Congo, local authorities said, as a month-long spike in violence complicates efforts to contain a deadly Ebola outbreak.

The attack in Kukutama, south-west of Oicha in North Kivu, comes on top of a death toll of more than 100 since October 30 when the army started an operation to root out the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a jihadist group operating in the dense forests bordering Uganda.

Friday’s attack was a few miles from an attack days earlier in which at least 19 people died.

“While the army is doing its best to neutralise the ADF rebellion, rebels are preying on defenceless civilians by way of revenge,” said Donat Kibwana, administrator of Beni territory.

Many victims were hacked to death or beheaded, according to local rights and civil society groups.



Violence in the region is hampering efforts to halt the spread of the Ebola virus, which killed 2 200 people since August 2018.