Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers killed at least 13 people in an attack on a market in the town of Biu in Borno state, officials said.
The blasts struck while aid workers were distributing food to people affected by the eight-year conflict with Boko Haram, said Aliyu Idrisa, a community leader.
In addition to the victims, 53 people were injured and two bombers were killed, said Victor Isuku, police spokesman for Borno state.
Saturday’s attack bore the hallmarks of Boko Haram, which uses suicide bombers, often women and girls, to attack crowded public spaces.
Last week, a suicide bombing at a mosque in Mubi killed at least 50 people, one of the deadliest attacks in recent years.
Government said its long-term plan for the north-east is to corral civilians in fortified garrison towns and cede the countryside to Boko Haram.
That plan and a string of deadly attacks raise questions about assertions by the Nigerian government and military that Boko Haram’s Islamist insurgency has been all but wiped out.