Regional West African forces freed 5,000 captives from a Boko Haram base in a more than week-long operation that also destroyed the militants’ hideout in mountains along the Nigeria-Cameroon border, Cameroon said.
The “hostages freed were mostly women, children and elderly people,” Communications Minister Issa Tchiroma Bakary told a news conference.
He added 21 Boko Haram suspects were arrested in the raid in the Mandara Mountains between February 26 and March 7, which destroyed a fuel depot and recovered weapons, motorcycles, around 50 bicycles and “various propaganda objects”.
Nigerian Islamist group Boko Haram has been fighting since 2009 to try to establish a medieval Islamic caliphate in the Lake Chad region, where Nigeria, Cameroon, Niger and Chad join. A co-ordinated push by the militaries of the four nations dismantled much of the territory Boko Haram once held, but it remains capable of launching lethal attacks, often targeting the civilian population.
In 2014 Boko Haram gunmen abducted 276 schoolgirls from the Nigerian village of Chibok and some 200 of them are thought to still be in captivity.
The Lake Chad region has witnessed an increase in attacks bearing the hallmarks of Boko Haram in markets and refugee camps since late 2016 and the United Nations says more than seven million people risk starvation owing to insecurity there.
As its fighters have been increasingly been killed or locked up, militants have sometimes resorted to using female captives as suicide bombers.
Four female teenage suicide bombers killed two people and injured 16 others on Wednesday in the north-east Nigerian city of Maiduguri, where the uprising first began.
Bakary said no Cameroonian soldiers were killed in the raid, but one had been wounded.