More than 40 dead in DR Congo ethnic clashes

1324

Ethnic clashes between Hema herders and Lendu farmers in north-eastern Democratic Republic of Congo’s Ituri province killed more than 40, local officials said, in the second such incident in a month.

Tensions between the groups have largely been dormant since a 1998-2003 war, when thousands died in fighting, but flared in recent months due to disputes over land.

At least 30 people were killed in two days of clashes last month between armed Hema and Lendu.

Militia activity increased across eastern Congo’s borders with Uganda and Rwanda in the past year, stoked in part by President Joseph Kabila’s refusal to step down at the end of his constitutional mandate in December 2016.

Alfred Ndrabu, a member of the Catholic Church’s Justice and Peace Commission in Ituri, said a colleague in Maze counted 49 bodies from Thursday’s clashes, which continued into Friday.
“The Lendu and their allies attacked Maze,” Ndrabu told Reuters. “They were pushed back by security forces … They returned with reinforcements … which was when they perpetrated the carnage.”

Jean-Bosco Lalo, an activist in provincial capital Bunia, said his organisation, had so far recorded 43 deaths. He did not say who initiated the violence.
“It was a case of reprisals by the two communities,” said local army spokesman Jules Ngongo, who did not yet have a death toll. “According to our information, there were cases of people being decapitated.”

Millions of people died during conflicts in Ituri and elsewhere in eastern Congo around the turn of the century, mostly from hunger and disease.



Three warlords from Ituri were tried by the International Criminal Court – and two convicted – for their roles in those conflicts. Another is currently on trial for war crimes and crimes against humanity.