DR Congo park authorities say rangers not killed in rescue

1220

Six Congolese killed in a wildlife reserve in eastern Congo last week were not on a mission to rescue a US journalist, a spokeswoman for the reserve authorities said, contradicting Congolese officials’ earlier accounts.

Four park rangers and two civilian porters in the Okapi Wildlife Reserve in Democratic Republic of Congo’s Mambasa territory were in fact killed during an attack last Friday by unidentified gunmen, the spokeswoman said.

An American journalist disappeared following the raid and was found on Saturday by a team of park rangers and soldiers. A local official at the time said five park rangers were killed in a joint operation with the army to rescue an American journalist.

But the Okapi spokeswoman said all the fatalities occurred during the initial attack and there never were any hostages.

It is unclear who was responsible for the raid, at a gold mine park rangers shut down earlier this year.

A Congolese and two Dutch journalists also escaped the attack.

Eastern Congo has been the site of numerous wars and uprisings over the last two decades and rebels, militia fighters and bandits still present a security risk in many areas.



Park rangers protecting dwindling populations of elephant and gorillas often clash with poachers and other armed groups exploiting minerals, wildlife and other resources.