Demonstrator dies in Guinea protests

41

A young demonstrator was killed in Guinea during protests against President Alpha Conde’s perceived attempt to extend his mandate, the security minister told Reuters.

At least 14 people died since demonstrations started in the West African country last month against changes to the constitution many fear could allow Conde to seek a third term.

Rights groups and political opponents denounced a heavy-handed crackdown by police including opening fire on protesters, claims Reuters was unable to independently verify and security forces deny.

Thousands took to the streets of Conakry on Thursday. Images showed a bus in flames and protesters clashing with police, who broke up demonstrations with teargas.

Circumstances around the death were not immediately clear. Security minister Damantang Albert Camara said an investigation was underway.

The 81-year-old Conde, whose second and final five-year term expires next year, refuses to rule out running again and asked government last month to investigate drafting a new constitution.



His opponents it could be a reset button on his presidency, allowing him to run again like other African leaders who amended or changed constitutions to stay in power.