The toll from a twin car bombing at a mosque in Benghazi rose to 35, medical officials said, one of the highest from a single attack since Libya slid into turmoil after a 2011 uprising.
The first blast on Tuesday hit worshippers leaving the Bayaat al-Radwan mosque in Benghazi’s Al Salmani district. The second, about 15 minutes later and which witnesses said was much stronger, inflicted a large number of casualties among people who had gathered at the scene.
On Wednesday, the blast scene was strewn with scraps of clothing and victims’ possessions and the stench of dead bodies hung in the air.
Surrounding buildings had their windows blown out and about 15 vehicles, including a firefighters’ vehicle that had arrived to deal with the first explosion, were destroyed.
Senior security officers were among the casualties, as well as security officials and a firefighter. At least three children were killed, and others injured. In all, some 60 people were wounded, medical officials said.
“I was present for the second blast and there was an ambulance between us and the explosion,” said Yassin Farouk, a local shopkeeper who had been praying in the mosque and was one of the first to leave. “The explosion was very powerful and we survived it by a miracle.”
There has been no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.
Benghazi is controlled by the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by eastern-based commander Khalifa Haftar and was battling Islamists and other opponents in the port city until late last year.
Haftar, a possible contender in national elections that could be held by the end of the year, built his reputation on delivering stability in Benghazi and beyond, promising to halt the chaos that developed after a Nato-backed uprising ended Muammar Gaddafi’s long rule nearly seven years ago.
Haftar launched his military campaign in Benghazi in May 2014, in response to a series of bombings and assassinations blamed on Islamist militants.
In past months there have been occasional, smaller scale bombings apparently targeting LNA allies or supporters.
One of those killed in Tuesday’s attack was Ahmed al-Feitouri, head of the LNA’s investigation and arrest unit. A tent for mourners was erected in front of his house, close to the Bayaat al-Radwan mosque.
Mohamed Fathi, who came to help people hit by the blast, suffered shrapnel injuries in his leg and hand from the second. “It was a huge explosion intended to kill as many people as possible,” he said.