Senegalese police arrested and charged 24 people over a shooting attack in its restive southern Casamance region earlier this month that left 14 villagers dead, a regional prosecutor said.
Gunmen attacked a group of civilians hunting for firewood in a forest on January 6 near Borofaye, about 10 km) from the Guinea Bissau border. Another seven villagers were wounded in the attack.
The area is home to separatist rebels who in 1982 formed the Movement of Democratic Forces for Casamance (MFDC), now one of Africa’s oldest rebellions, fighting for independence.
Abdoulaye Sylla, a prosecutor in the provincial capital Ziguinchor, told national radio the 24 arrested included a member of the MDFC who authorities believe masterminded the operation.
Sylla said the 24 were charged with murder, criminal conspiracy and possession of unlicensed weapons.