QUESTION NO 1301
DATE OF PUBLICATION IN INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER: 26 APRIL 2010
(INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER NO 11- 2010)
Date reply submitted : 18 May 2010
1301 Mr M J Ellis (DA) to ask the Minister of Police:
(1) Whether a one-way mirror will be installed at the Pinetown police station for identity parades; if not, why not; if so, when;
(2) how are identity parades currently conducted at the Pinetown police station in the absence of a one-way mirror;
(3) whether he has been informed that members of the Pinetown community policing forum are committed to raising the money for such a mirror themselves, provided its installation is authorised; if so, what has been his response to their offer; if not,
(4) whether he will take steps to obtain the information on the offer of the local community policing forum; if not, why not; if so, when?
(1) The item does not form part of planning for the current financial year.
(2) SAPS Pinetown makes use of facilities at SAPS Brighton Beach and SAPS Durban Central.
(3) The Pinetown Community Policing Forum has indicated their willingness to raise money to install such facilities at SAPS Pinetown. A written proposal by the CPF on the scope of work including the costing has to be submitted to the Provincial Head: Supply Chain Management, who will in turn forward it to the Department of Public Works for approval.
(4) The due processes can commence once the Pinetown Community Policing Forum submits their written proposal.
Reply to question 1301 approved by Minister