The Spanish coast guard rescued three men from a half-sunk dinghy stranded in the Mediterranean, after a two-day search for a boat that left Morocco with 52 people on board.
The rescued men, all from countries in sub-Saharan Africa, said the rubber boat had been drifting since it set off from Morocco’s northern coast, according to a coast guard statement.
The statement said an informant alerted the coast guard on Sunday that a boat had left from near Al Hoceima in Morocco and the area had been searched non-stop since then.
The coast guard said it was likely the boat they found was the one they were looking for.
A helicopter transferred the three, a 17-year-old and two 25-year-olds, to the Spanish port of Almeria, where medical services were treating them.