Twenty-one migrants are missing and probably drowned after a rubber dinghy and a wooden boat set off from Libya for Italy and had to be rescued, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) said.
Those missing were among the 51 on the wooden boat and two dead infants reportedly found aboard bringing the likely death toll to 23, IOM spokesman Joel Millman told a UN briefing in Geneva. All 132 people on the rubber dinghy were rescued, he said.
Both incidents happened on Saturday, but survivors reached the port of Pozzallo in Italy on Tuesday, Millman said. Other survivors were shipped back to Libya.
The probable deaths marked the largest incident in over a month on the central Mediterranean migrant route between Libya and Italy, usually the most lethal route, with only one body washed ashore in Libya since February 2.
Fatalities so far this year are down by at least 100 since the same stage of 2017, Millman said. Another route, further west, has become more hazardous.
“We continue to learn of deaths in Moroccan, Algerian and Spanish waters,” Millman said.
“We understand the total for the first 63 days of the year is 105 deaths on that route, well ahead of what things were like a year ago, when we had 44.”