Libyan officials allowed at least 100 migrants to walk from a detention centre in Tripoli hit in an attack last week.
The air strike killed 53 people and injured 130 , the World Health Organisation (WHO) said in its latest death toll on Twitter. It occurred as eastern forces under Khalifa Haftar keep up a ground and aerial offensive to wrest control of Tripoli from the UN-backed government.
Officials at the centre, run by the UN-backed government in a Tripoli eastern suburb, took the release decision after migrants protested over not being on a the United Nations’ refugee agency (UNHCR) evacuation list.
Fifty-five migrants were on the list, said a local official at the detention centre who requested not to be named.
“We opened the gates and let them go,” he told Reuters.
A resident from Tajoura said migrants were walking from the detention centre.
It was not immediately clear where they intended to go.
Following their departure, about 110 migrants remain at the centre, in the open and using mattresses for shelter, the official said.
“They don’t want to go back inside as they’re afraid of air strikes,” the official added.
Haftar’s forces and the UN-backed government blame each other for the July 3 air strike.