A shark attacked four divers in the Red Sea over two days and Egyptian officials have imposed a 48-hour swimming ban in part of the area, one of Egypt’s most popular tourist destinations, state news agency MENA reported.
Health officials said an oceanic white-tip shark attacked the three Russians and a Ukrainian off Sharm El Sheikh on Tuesday and Wednesday, biting off a hand and causing severe leg and back injuries, MENA said.
They were transferred from Sharm El Sheikh Hospital to the Nasser Institute Hospital in Cairo for treatment, it said, Reuters reports.
Shark attacks in the Red Sea are reported once every year or two, said Mohamed Salem, director of South Sinai Conservation. The region is famed for its abundant coral, clear waters and exotic fish.
“Oceanic white tip sharks are ranked the third most dangerous shark breed globally,” said Ibrahim al-Shazly, a Red Sea diver. “Such an attack is quite rare… The last incident was last year when a French tourist died after her leg was ripped off.”
The last person to die from a shark attack in Egypt was killed while snorkelling near Sharm El Sheikh in 2004, according to the Global Shark Attack File Website www.sharkattackfile.net.