Indian Navy raises INS Vindhyagiri off the seabed


The Indian Navy frigate INS Vindhyagiri was yesterday raised off the seabed of Mumbai harbour after resting there for nearly five months following a collision with a merchant vessel in late January.

Indian Express reports that the frigate was raised from the waters of the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai yesterday using a giant floating crane.

The 330 tonne capacity floating crane, the Gal Installer, had been on station for several weeks but was not put into action until Monday after workers had pumped out water and fuel from the submerged ship and pumped in air.

Indian Express reported sources as saying the frigate would be moved within a couple of days and then washed and taken to dry dock for repairs.

The incident that led to the submersion of the INS Vindhyagiri occurred on January 30 in the navigation channel of the Mumbai harbour. A convoy of navy ships was coming into Mumbai harbour after a ‘day at sea’ for families of sailors and officers. INS Vindhyagiri was in the fifth position coming towards the naval dockyard, which is on the far side of the port. Because of the naval dockyard’s location, ships often have to cross each other’s paths.

As the convoy was entering the port, the Cyprus flagged loaded container ship MV Nordlake was leaving the dock for the open sea. The lead ship in the naval convoy established communications with Nordlake and it was decided that both would go to the right of each other.

The ships behind the lead ship had to follow its course. However, the INS Godavari had fallen behind and established its own communications with Nordlake, asking that both ships pass to the left of each other.
“This created a major confusion as rest of the convoy was passing right-to-right,” said an officer investigating the case.

To give space to INS Godavari to pass to its left, Nordlake turned right. Meanwhile, another inbound merchant ship, the Seychelles flagged MV Sea Eagle, which was moving towards the harbour and was ahead of Vindhyagiri, had come parallel to Vindhyagiri.

Then, both Nordlake and Sea Eagle were facing each other and thus established quick communication. They finally decided to pass to the right of each other.

As soon as Nordlake crossed Sea Eagle (which it missed by 20 metres) it found INS Vindhyagiri right ahead of it.

By now, it was too late to manoeuvre the ship and Nordlake crashed into the right side of Vindhyagiri at a right angle, leading to a fire in the ship’s boiler room.
“Another reason for the crash was that Nordlake was at high speed since it was going to open sea and Vindhyagiri was at slow speed as it was moving to port,” said an officer from Yellow Gate Police Station.

The crash cracked the Vindhyagiri’s hull, ruptured a fuel tank and ignited a massive fire. As the fire could not be controlled by the naval dockyard, help was sought from the Mumbai fire brigade. However, the firefighting efforts resulted in flooding aboard the frigate, which partially capsized and landed on the seabed. However, the water was too shallow for her to sink completely. All 400 people on board the frigate were safely evacuated.

INS Vindhagiri was commissioned in 1981 and is a mostly indigenously built frigate. It was scheduled to be decommissioned in a year or two. The Navy said the vessel will not be decommissioned immediately after being salvaged. A senior navy officer said the sunken vessel would be repaired and refitted so it can be brought back into service, according to the Asian Age. He added that once the refitting was done, the vessel would be able to serve in the Indian Navy for another five years.

This Vindhagiri collision is the most recent incident in a series of naval accidents over the last several years. In January 2008 the submarine INS Sindhughosh bumped the MV Leeds Castle while surfacing north of Mumbai, causing damage to the conning tower. In April 2006 the Veer class corvette INS Prahar hit the container ship MV Rajiv Gandhi off the western coast near Goa, and sank. And in December 2005 the Talwar class frigate INS Trishul collided with the Ambuja Lakshmi at the Mumbai port.