Soldier who went on shooting rampage hands himself over to police

3870

A SA Army infantry soldier suspected of having killed a woman and wounded another and a policeman in a shoot-out near Durban earlier this week handed himself over to police at the Inanda Police Station on Thursday.

A single sentence statement issued by Defence Corporate Communication and attributed to Brigadier General Mafi Mgobozi said: “On the morning of Thursday, the SA National Defence Force officers accompanied the suspect in the shooting incident in Ntuzuma to the police station to hand himself over”.

According to the Times the soldier, previously identified as Rifleman Thembinkosi American Ngcobo of Upington-headquartered 8 SA Infantry Battalion, arrived at Inanda Police Station accompanied by his lawyer.

Ngcobo had been on the run for about 48 hours after his shooting spree. Contrary to earlier SANDF statements that Ngcobo was preparing to report for guard duty in the Durban area others have it the soldier had driven to Durban from Upington to search for a woman he had apparently had a child with, believing she was having an affair.

SA Police Service spokesman Jay Naicker said the soldier went looking for the woman at her house in Inanda on Tuesday. She was apparently not there but her sisters were. Ngcobo apparently shot at them killing one and wounding another.

The soldier then fled by vehicle and was later approached by police who had been alerted about the shooting. As the police approached his vehicle, he opened fire, injuring an officer in the foot. One of the girlfriend’s sisters, with the police, was shot in the arm. The soldier abandoned his vehicle and fled on foot.

Military police worked alongside the SAPS Tactical Response Team to track and find Ngcobo.



Mgobozi did not give any indication of when the soldier would appear in court or what charges he would face.