SANDF deployed to SABC offices

452

There is nothing unusual about the deployment of South African National Defence Force (SANDF) soldiers to the South African Broadcasting Corporation’s (SABC’s) offices as this is in line with the protection of national key points and other assets under Operation Prosper.

This is according to SANDF spokesperson Siphiwe Dlamini, who told IOL that soldiers will be found “at any national key points such as airports and other key installations. They were deployed there on July 22 after the president made the announcement. The deployment is until October. It is only then that we will make a review about their deployment,” Dlamini said.

This comes after the SABC last week confirmed that members of the South African National Defence Force were deployed at its offices in Auckland Park, Johannesburg and in Durban.

Group Executive of Corporate Affairs and Marketing Gugu Ntuli said the move was made to protect the public broadcaster’s premises and staff in light of the recent unrest in the two provinces and that there were no ulterior motives in the move.

“The SABC, therefore, refutes, with the necessary contempt, the misleading and malicious allegations that there is an ulterior motive for the presence of the SANDF at its premises. In the exercise of their responsibilities, the members of the SANDF engage with the SABC’s internal security to familiarise themselves with some internal security processes and National Key Point activities, including News,” Ntuli said.



As a National Key Point Area, delivering an essential service to the nation, and considering the recent attacks on the SABC journalists, it was deemed necessary that the physical premises and the employees working in these offices be protected, the SABC said.