New Armscor board starts work on May 1

6567

The immediate past Chief of the SA Navy takes up chairmanship of the Armscor board on May 1 and will head up an entirely new board of the state security procurement agency.

Vice Admiral, now retired, Johannes Mudimu handed over command of the SA National Defence Force’s maritime arm of service to Vice Admiral Mosuwa Hlongwane at the end of March. His appointment as chairman of the Armscor board was made public by Defence and Military Veterans Minister, Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, 11 days before Mudimu ended his eight year tenure as CNavy.

The Ministerial announcement of a new board of directors for Armscor was made while her appeal to the Constitutional Court regarding the reinstatement of retired lieutenant general “Mojo” Motau was reserved by the country’s highest court. Mapisa-Nqakula appealed to the Constitutional Court after the North Gauteng High Court last year ruled her dismissal of Motau and Refiloe Mokoena, current Armscor deputy chair, was irregular.

Ministerial spokesman Joy Peter, this week told defenceWeb judgement in the matter of the Minister of Defence and Military Veterans vs Motau and Mokoena was “still reserved”.
“The contracts of all current board members expire on April 30 and the new board will be effective as of May 1, 2014,” she said.

The new Armscor board members are Thuthukile Skweyiya, Dr Moses Khanyile, Bethuel Mobu, Sesi Baloyi, Mpumi Zikalala, Ndumiso Tyibilika, Raymond Vokwana and Virginia de la Hunt.



The procurement agency has been mired in controversy during Motau’s chairmanship ranging from delays in finalisation of the contract for the SA Army’s new infantry fighting vehicle, the Badger, to more recent revelation of excessive payments for “cosmetic” repairs to Samil trucks. The agency has also been plagued by the suspension and/or dismissal of a number of senior employees.