Established in 1923 as the Durban Volunteer Guides, the unit was disbanded after World War Two but reformed on paper in 1959 as an armoured infantry unit.
The unit hastily formed and deployed to Cato Manor for Operation Duiker in March 1960 to help “restore order”. The DR provided troops for the Namibian war from 1972 to 1982 and did service along the Natal border from 1982 to 1984. From 1985 to 1991 the unit was involved in counterinsurgency operations in various townships between Margate and Stanger.
Current role: Motorised infantry.
Current base: Durban
Motto: Pugna Celeriter (To strike swiftly).