Marauder armoured vehicle defeats ‘terrorist’ explosions, brick walls and wild lions in Top Gear test
More than 5 million UK viewers saw the Marauder, which is designed and built by the Paramount company of South Africa, take on and pass all the tests it was set by presenter Richard Hammond in the urban jungles of Johannesburg, South Africa.
South Africa is world renowned for producing some of the best protected and most technologically innovative armoured vehicles in the world.
During the programme, which was broadcast in the UK on Sunday 26th June, the Marauder flattened cars, smashed through brick walls and defied attacks by hungry lions in the South African bush.
In the final test a Marauder and a Hummer were blown up in explosions simulating the roadside bombs faced daily in conflict zones. The Hummer was totally destroyed, but the Marauder was barely damaged and drove away from the explosion and into the South African sunset.
Richard Hammond also took Marauder on an entertaining tour of Johannesburg and almost brought South Africa’s largest city to a complete standstill.
Stunned onlookers watched in awe as the bright red Marauder roared through the crowded streets, exciting pedestrians and totally dominating the usually busy roads.
Hammond even managed to order a burger while driving through a McDonald’s, although he did demolish a number of security bollards in the process.
Ivor Ichikowitz, the Executive Chairman of the Paramount Group, said: “The Marauder is one of the toughest vehicles in the world. We challenged Richard Hammond to throw anything he wanted at it and Marauder withstood it all.
“Despite the fun working with Top Gear, it is important to remember soldier protection is a very serious issue for armies worldwide. We are talking about saving lives. With this type of technology available and the ever present threat of IED’s there really is no excuse for governments not to provide the best protected vehicles for their defence forces.
“Personnel can be assured that when travelling in Marauder they are in one of the world’s toughest vehicles. South Africa, and Paramount Group in particular, has a rich tradition of providing some of the most innovative and best protected vehicles in the world and Marauder is one such vehicle.”
Marauder is a high-mobility armoured personnel carrier with outstanding levels of protection against mines, IEDs and ballistic attack. It can carry up to 10 fully armed troops and can be configured in a number of variants depending on the role. It is extremely flexible and is a true infantry workhorse.
Marauder – 10 things you didn’t know!
1. Marauder is actually three vehicles in one. It can be produced as an infantry patrol vehicle, a command centre and even an ambulance!
2. With long range fuel tanks added it can travel an extra 500km – making it ideal for long range patrols.
3. Marauder can survive explosions of 14kg of TNT under its wheels and 7kg under its hull – making it one of the world’s toughest vehicles.
4. Whether sitting in the boiling heat of +55°C or the freezing temperatures of -32°C, occupants can stay cool or warm with the ultra modern climate control system.
5. Marauder can literally swim! It has a fording depth of half the vehicle – making it ideal for rugged and wet terrain.
6. It has special ‘run flat’ tyre inserts which means that the tyres can be perforated by 12.7mm bullet rounds and still keep rolling for at least another 50km!
7. Marauder weighs around 15 tons but can be loaded up to 18 tons when fully laden!
8. The vehicle can be fitted with an IED jammer – making it the enemy of terrorists worldwide.
9. Anti blast seats protect troops from roadside bombs and rocket attack – keeping them safe from the huge force of explosions, without just protecting the vehicle.
10. With a maximum speed of 120Km/hr the Marauder is no slow coach. Marauder armoured vehicle defeats ‘terrorist’ explosions, brick walls and wild lions in Top Gear test
Notes to editors
Social media release
The Paramount Group was founded in 1994 and works with governments around the world in matters of peacekeeping, defence and internal securities. As the largest privately owned group of defence companies in Africa, Paramount serves sovereign governments worldwide. The company develops and designs solutions to tackle peacekeeping, defence, and internal security problems, and seeks to expand its manufacture of armoured vehicles worldwide. Solutions range from camp systems, logistic equipment, and personal protection gear, as well as crowd control equipment, communication technologies and armoured MPVs.
Top Gear is an award winning British television series about motor vehicles, primarily cars. It began in 1977 as a conventional motoring magazine show and now has 350 million viewers across the world. Over time, and especially since a relaunch in 2002, it has developed a quirky, humorous style. The show is currently presented by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May, and has featured three different test drivers known as The Stig. The programme is estimated to have 350 million viewers worldwide. Sixteen series have been broadcast, and season seventeenth will return on 26 June 2011.
Bell Pottinger Business & Brand
Direct Line: +44 (0)20 7861 2859
Switchboard: +44 (0)20 7861 2424
Part of the Bell Pottinger Group