QUESTION NO. 624
DATE OF PUBLICATION: 11 March 2011
Ms M R Shinn (DA) to ask the Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs:
(1) What is the status of the building of the ship that will replace the SA Agulhas;
(2) whether the vessel will be ready for service by February 2012; if not, why not;
(3) whether the cost of the new ship has remained at the initially indicated price of R1,649,825,000; if not, (a) why not and (b) what is the current indicated cost;
(4) whether the list of scientific equipment that will be installed on the new ship has been finalised; if not, why not; if so, what will the cost of this equipment be in addition to the abovementioned amount?
Ms M R Shinn (DA)
SECRETARY TO PARLIAMENT
624. THE MINISTER OF WATER AND ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS ANSWERS:
(1) The current building process is at the keel-laying stage and on schedule.
(2) No. The contract between STX Europe (shipyard) and the Department of Environmental Affairs is for delivery in April 2012.
(3) a) No. The Original Contract Price is: Euro 116 265 000 -00. The Euro price is fixed. The
Rand price depends on the exchange rate.
b) At the current (strong) level of the Rand, the cost is R1 569 825 000 – 00.
(4) Yes, all scientific equipment to be installed has been finalised .Nil.