Dr S M van Dyk (DA) to ask the Minister of Public Enterprises:
(1) Whether any radioactive material has been stolen from (a) Pelindaba Nuclear Research Facility,
(b) Koeberg nuclear power station or (c) any other user of nuclear products in the (i) 2005-06, (ii) 2006-07, (iii) 2007-08, (iv) 2008-09 and (v) 2010-11 financial years; if so, what are the relevant details in each case;
(2) Whether anyone was (a) arrested and (b) convicted for the specified thefts; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details in each case;
(3) Whether the nuclear material was retrieved in each case; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what are the relevant details in each case;
(4) Whether the stolen material can be used to build a dirty bomb or a weapon of mass destruction; if so, what is being done to retrieve the stolen material;
(5) Whether the (a) SA Nuclear Energy Corporation (Necsa) and (b) National Nuclear Regulator (NNR) of SA reports on each specified incident are available to members of Parliament; if not, why not; if so, where can copies of the reports be obtained? NW1463E
(1)(2)(3)(4)(5) No radioactive material has ever been stolen from Koeberg nuclear power station or from any of Eskom’s power stations.