100. Mr K A Sinclair (COPE-NC) to ask the Minister of Police:
(1) Whether the SA Police Service has expended any amounts as payment to procure information for use in the prosecution of criminal activities in the (a) 2008-09, (b) 2009-10, (c) 2010-11 and (d) 2011-12 financial years; if not, why not; if so, (i) what amount has been spent in each financial year and (ii) how many successful prosecutions resulted from the information that has been paid for;
(2) whether the Auditor-General has found the integrity of the processes and systems to be satisfactory; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, how many officials have been implicated in an attempt to defraud the fund that was set up for the purposes of paying targeted informants?
(1) Yes, the South African Police Service has spent the following amounts as payment to procure information for use in the prosecution of criminal activities:
(a) 2008/2009 – R39 473 040,00
(b) 2009/2010 – R39 163 730,00
(c) 2010/2011 – R35 396 150,00
(d) 2011/2012 – R33 599 759,00 (year to date 2012-03-14)
The rest of the information is not readily available and must be obtained via the provinces. Each relevant case docket must be physically inspected. The outstanding information will be requested from the provinces and submitted as soon as it is received.
(2) The systems were audited by the Auditor General and there were no findings.
Reply to question 100 approved by the Minister