647. Mr R N Cebekhulu (IFP) to ask the Minister of Police:
(1) How many police stations have been built in rural areas in the past five financial years;
(2) whether these specified police stations are fully operational; if not, (a) why not and (b) how many are not fully operational; if so, (i) how many are fully operational and (ii) what are the further relevant details;
(3) what are the (a) number and (b) types of cases that have been opened at these police stations?
(1) Eight (8) police stations, namely Jane Furse, Matoks (Sekgosese), Gamasemola, Mooifontein (Ditsobotla), Hebron, Bhisho, Lady Frere and Pienaar have been built in rural areas in the past five financial years (1 April 2007 until 29 February 2012).
(2)(a) Not applicable.
(2)(b) Not applicable.
(2)(b)(i) and (ii) All of the eight (8) above-mentioned police stations are fully operational.
(3)(a) and (b) The number and types of cases that have been opened at the above mentioned police stations for the past five financial years are attached. The crime statistics for the 2011/2012 financial year have not been released yet.
Reply to question 647 approved by the Minister