Parliamentary Question: DoDMV: Strategic Defence Package

1366

MR P. J. Groenewald (FF Plus) to ask the Minister of Defence and Military Veterans:
(1) With reference to the Strategic Defence Package, what (a)(i) total amount has been spent in respect of the acquisition of arms and (ii) acquisitions remain outstanding as at the latest specified date for which information is available and (b) is the projected cost for the finalisation of the programme;

(2) whether she will make a statement on the matter? NW3444E

REPLY
1.a.(i). As the Honourable Member would know, the Strategic Defence Package was concluded in 1999. The National Treasury is responsible for the implementation of the SDP and the responsibility of the Department of Defence is to receive the acquisitions. The total amount spent in respect of acquisition of arms under the SDPs as at 14 October 2010 is R 42, 362, 053, 814 and the projected cost for the finalisation of the programme is R 47, 225, 627, 631.
1(a)(ii). In terms of expenditure, approximately 90% of the acquisitions of the SDP have been finalised. The remaining 10% as at 14 October 2010 are the following:

Meka 200A frigates: Final sea acceptance of a sub-segment of the combat suite.

Type 209 Submarines: 20% of the associated logistic support still to be delivered.

Augusta Light utility Helicopters: 4% of the final associated logistic support including the implementation of a few minor engineering changes.

SAAB Grippen Advance Fighter Aircraft: 11 single seat aircraft and 10% of the logistic support.



BAE HAWK Lead-in: 3% of the final associated logistic support including the implementations of some minor engineering changes.
2. No