Mrs D Robinson (DA) to ask the Minister of Defence and Military Veterans:
(1) (a) What are the (i) yearly rental and (ii) floor space of the (aa) current and (bb) previous premises occupied by her department’s head office and (b) when (i) was the current building occupied and (ii) does the current lease expire;
(2) whether her department publicly invited tenders prior to the leasing of the current premises; if not, why not; if so, (a) when, (b) where was it published and (c) which (i) companies and (ii) properties were shortlisted;
(3) what (a) floor space was offered and (b) annual rental was tendered (i) by each shortlisted company and (ii) with regard to each shortlisted property?
(1) (a) (i) (aa) The yearly rental for the current headquarters of the Department of Defence (DOD) is R17, 835, 384.00.
(ii) (aa) The floor space of the building is 22 116,03 square meters.
(b) (i) The current building has been occupied by the department since 15 May 1992.
(2) No. The lease agreement is between the property owner(s) and the Department of Public Works (DPW) on behalf of the DOD and the awarding of tenders is a function of DPW.