Gunmen shot a United Nations convoy on a coastal road west of the Libyan capital, Tripoli in an incident that could complicate the gradual return of diplomatic and other international staff to Libya.
“The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) confirms a UN convoy was hit today travelling between Surman and Tripoli,” a statement from the mission said on Wednesday, adding there were no reports of casualties among UN staff.
A member of parliament for Zawiya, Abdallah Alafi, said five male and two female UN staff were briefly held and then released and would be transferred to Tripoli.
It was not clear why the convoy was hit and whether staff were detained or held for their own protection.
A picture circulating on social media showed an unmarked white vehicle of the kind used by UN staff in Libya apparently immobilised on the edge of a road, with the front wheel casing badly damaged and shatter marks on two windows.
“UNSMIL thanks the Government of National Accord, House of Representative Members from Zawiya and local authorities for their help in ensuring the safety of UN staff and is looking forward to their safe return to Tripoli,” the UN statement said.
Surman is west of Zawiya. A number of militias have a presence in the area and the road is often closed because of local disputes. Kidnappings are common.
UNSMIL along with most diplomatic missions evacuated from Tripoli to neighbouring Tunisia in 2014 as rival factions battled for control of the Libyan capital.
Since last year, when the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) arrived in Tripoli, the mission and UN agencies have increased their presence in Libya with regular visits by international staff.
Diplomatic staff visit more frequently and the Italian and Turkish embassies reopened in Tripoli earlier this year.
The security situation in and around the capital remains fragile with armed groups retaining the power they have held since the NATO-backed uprising overthrew Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.