apan on Monday started withdrawing its troops from the UN mission in war battered South Sudan, according to an official, a move coinciding with escalating violence in a conflict with killings described as genocide.
The 350-strong Japanese military contingent, based in South Sudan’s capital Juba for the past five years, has mostly been assisting with infrastructure construction.
“The first group is leaving today,” Daniel Dickinson, spokesman for the UN peace keeping mission called UNMISS, told Reuters moments before troops were due to board their flight at Juba International Airport.
Dickinson said the Japanese contingent would leave in three batches and the group due to leave on Monday was 68 strong.
Deadly violence, often driven by ethnic hatred has gripped South Sudan since 2013 when fighting broke out between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and his political foe Riek Machar whom he sacked as vice president.
A 2015 peace deal ended that conflict and Machar was early last year restored to his vice presidency position but persistent animus between the two men finally exploded into fresh fighting in July.
Episodes of mass violence especially in the equatorial region of South Sudan have been growing, with surviving civilian witnesses reporting government troops turning up in towns and starting shooting rampages.
The UK has described the killings and other atrocities in South Sudan as genocide although the UN has not yet made that determination.
South Sudan government spokesman, Ateny Wek Ateny, said they welcomed Japanese troops’ departure because “the government of South Sudan is able to control the country.”