Recruiter: Africa Aerospace and Defence
Job Type: Marketing & Communications Manager
Africa Aerospace and Defence (AAD), is a highly valued national asset, with international recognition as the premier Aerospace and Defence exhibition and airshow in Africa. AAD seeks to appoint a Marketing & Communications Manager.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The role requires the incumbent to be able to manage the full marketing and communications portfolio and function. The incumbent will be required, at times, to perform ‘over and above’ tasks in the running of the AAD office, and often be expected to go ‘beyond the call of duty’ in this highly pressurized, often complex but energized and fast paced environment.
The applicant must fulfil the following requirements: Communication:
- Independently manage the communication function from start to end, and inter-dependently with other stakeholders.
- Develop, implement, and maintain related and supporting strategies to meet organizational communication and operational objectives.
- Compile and implement a comprehensive communications plan that takes into cognisance the various areas needed to enhance AAD’s organisational reputation and the hosting of the AAD event.
- Create the necessary campaigns which will grow AAD utilizing the myriad tools available within the communications discipline.
- Manage the communications budget.
- Prepare and manage all related tender processes – including writing the specification, proposal documents i.e. (Website, corporate identity, and website, etc.)
- Responsible for the creative design of all marketing and communications material.
- Manage and coordinate all marketing activities within agreed budgets.
- Working closely with Marketing/Communication/PR agencies to determine the best messages and executions to enthuse various customer bases (Trade visitors, Exhibitors, and airshow Enthusiast).
- Responsible for the creation of AAD marketing content for the website, newsletter, press release etc.
- Manage customer databases for distribution of digital newsletters and press releases.
- Manages internal and external communications i.e., newsletter, exhibitor’s bulletin, editorials, press releases etc.
- Source corporate /marketing merchandise by liaising with suppliers, getting approval, placing orders, taking stock and ensuring the distribution of branded merchandise.
- Leading and collaborative work in support of the Marketing Committee Members.
- Managing media relations, press releases, sourcing and distribution of press cutting and radio campaigns.
- Manage and develop partnerships with external stakeholders.
- Management of external publications (Exhibition Catalogue and Show daily).
- Managing the production of all marketing materials and collateral within agreed budgets.
- Attend all committee meetings (POLCOM, EXCOM, FINCOM, SECCOM etc.) and report back to management.
- Compile and implement PR plan and activities.
- Manage all PR activities.
- Planning and execution of a comprehensive PR strategy externally to achieve frequent, timely and positive media coverage across all media platforms, including social media before,, during and after the exhibition.
- Mobilize Community, Local and National Newspapers to encourage and create awareness.
- Coordinate the relevant spokesperson for the exhibition and Airshow.
- Coordinate and manage all sponsorships.
- Together with the AAD partners, identify and categorise various stakeholder groupings, critical to the success and sustainability of AAD.
- Develop, implement and manage the related stakeholder engagement strategy.
- Plan, organise and manage media and other related events before and after the exhibition i.e., Press conferences, media and exhibitors briefing, media walks a day before AAD opens.
- Ensure that all events are arranged timeously and professionally (in accordance with budget, and in line with the overall communication objectives etc.).
- Network and attend functions and meetings to enhance and create awareness of the exhibition and Airshows brand.
- Identify and attend relevant international exhibitions to benchmark AAD.
- Compile and implement Media plan and activities.
- Interact with South African and International Media.
- Address the Media, Exhibitors before AAD at Media and or Exhibitors briefing.
- Compiling of Media Proposal, Negotiation of Media Partnerships and Securing of media coverage across various media platforms leading up to the exhibition and air show nationally and internationally.
- Choosing appropriate media to best communicate with AAD customers i.e. Radio, Magazines, Newspaper and TV.
Online Marketing (Website/ social media):
- Website management.
- Maintain social media presence and constantly monitor the AAD digital communication channels (twitter, Facebook, AAD blog, G+ and LinkedIn).
- Act as custodian and ambassador of the AAD brand.
- Devise, implement and manage all activations that will enhance the brand.
COMPETENCIES AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- BCom/IMM, bachelor’s degree in communication, Marketing or PR or equivalent
- Knowledge of and experience in working in the Defence environment and industry would an added advantage.
- 5 years’ experience in a Marketing and Communications role of which 2 years must be in a management role.
- Project management experience is advantageous.
- Candidate must be literate in MS Office – Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Must be able to manage budgets.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organization and planning skills.
- Ability to navigate a multi-cultural environment and build effective working relations.
- Previous experience in managing large campaigns and/or events.
- Innovative and must use own initiative.
- High degree of emotional intelligence and people management skills.
- Formal presentation skills.
- Negotiation skills.
- After hours work required.
- Valid driver’s licence (Own vehicle required).
- International travel expected.
In line with AAD’s commitment to the Employment Equity Act, preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups.
Shortlisted candidates will be subjected to an appropriate reference check, verification of the applicant’s personal data and security clearance as part of the selection process.
PLEASE NOTE – ONLY SUITABLE CANDIDATES WILL BE CONSIDERED / PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS POSITION IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS!