Three opposition candidates in Chad’s delayed April 24 presidential elections said that they would boycott the poll over concerns that the vote will not be credible.
Six oppositions candidates last week threatened to boycott the polls, demanding that the elections be postponed so as to fix problems with the oil-producing Central African nation’s voter registration process.
The government of incumbent President Idriss Deby, agreed to postpone the elections initially planned for April 3, Reuters reports.
Three candidates Saleh Kebzabo, Ngarledji Yorongar and Kamougue Wadal Abdelkader told a news conference that their demands for the printing of new voter cards and fixing voter registration problems had not been met.
They said excess voter cards used in a February 13 legislative election, won by Deby and his allies, were still in circulation.
“We have a total voting population of 4,7 million, but the electoral commission printed 6 million cards (for the February13 polls). What purpose will the surplus cards serve if not of fraud?” Yorongar said.
The candidates called on their supporters not to vote in what they called an electoral masquerade.