Written by Reuters , Friday, 30 September 2016
It was not clear who the bomb was targeting, but the sources said it was planted in a private car parked near the home of a senior interior ministry official and a prosecutor.
Egypt is facing an Islamist insurgency led by Islamic State's branch in North Sinai, where hundreds of soldiers and police have been killed. There have also been attacks in Cairo and other cities.
The country's top prosecutor was assassinated by a car bomb in June last year.
There was no official interior ministry comment. The state news agency MENA said bomb disposal experts had been dispatched to the Taggammo area of New Cairo, known for residential compounds and high-end shopping, after an explosion was heard.
Page 1 of 1077
Top stories this week
- Parliamentary Defence Committee fact-finding visit to SANDF facilities and bases
- Mali leader warns UN: Qaeda, Islamic State gaining ground in country
- Angola, Mali, Nigeria and Sudan receiving Russian attack, transport helicopters
- Cameroon and Somalia getting Oshkosh vehicles
- Denel teams up to supply Saudi Arabia with Ingwe missile
- Hunger “deadlier than violence” in Boko Haram-hit north-east Nigeria
- UNICEF says 75,000 children could die in Nigeria hunger crisis
- Nigerian Army orders nine Ara MRAPs from Proforce
- Rise in Nigerian sex slavery in Italy fuelled by violence and juju magic
- Nigerian militant group claims attack on Delta oil pipeline
- Female Boko Haram victims forced to sell sex as food runs out
- Zimbabwe police fire teargas at street vendors
- Boko Haram violence leaves families 'teetering on edge of famine' - aid groups
- Zimbabwe says shocked by Botswana leader's criticism of Mugabe
- Boko Haram leaders appears on video after Nigeria said it wounded him
Young Denel engineers produce breakthrough weapon
by Denel Corporate, 30 September 2016
Dakalo Nekhumbe, Phindile Mashaba and Marumo Talane developed a new generation light-weight machine gun, the DMG-5.
Saab extends third-party maintenance support for peacekeeping initiatives in Africa
by Saab, 26 September 2016
Saab Kenya has extended a contract to provide third-party maintenance services to peacekeeping initiatives in Somalia.
Saab receives order for RBS 70 NG
by Saab, 22 September 2016
System deliveries will take place between 2018 and 2020, followed by long-term maintenance and support of the systems.