HMS Sceptre visits Simon's Town
Visits by nuclear-powered vessels are no longer uncommon. The Sceptre's visit follows that by US Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS San Juan (SSN 751) in November last year. The Russian battlecruiser Pyotr Veliky (Peter the Great) docked in Cape Town for a few days in January last year while the the US aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt visited Cape Town in October 2008.
The NNR says it is satisfied that the application received complies “with all aspects of the regulatory requirements in terms of the section 21 of the National Nuclear Regulator Act. Furthermore, the NNR wishes to reassure all stakeholders concerned that it will conduct environmental sampling before the arrival of the vessel, during berth in the harbour, and after the vessel has left. We do this to ensure that there are no adverse radiological impacts to the Simon's Town environment due to the HMS Sceptre's visit.”
The Sceptre was built by Vickers in Barrow-in-Furness, Scotland and was commissioned on February 14 1978. The wikipedia notes she was the tenth nuclear fleet submarine to enter service with the Royal Navy. At present she is currently the oldest commissioned vessel in the Royal Navy still in active service and is to be decommissioned in December. She will be replaced by HMS Astute, the BAE Systems-built lead Astute class submarine.
The online Digital Journal reports the boat was initially expected to be in Simon’s Town from March 18. She will ow depart port April 16. The SA Navy told the Digital Journal in an earlier interview that the Sceptre had been delayed by “operational requirements” but did not elaborate. But British newspapers claim the submarine had been patrolling off the Falkland Islands near South America because of renewed tensions between the United Kingdom and Argentina.
The UK’s Mail Online said the row erupted when a British oil-rig, the Ocean Guardian, which had been towed from Scotland, was reported to have found oil off the islands. The Mail said the HMS Sceptre was sent to “boost security” in the area and counter any possible sea borne threat from Argentina. British authorities did not comment on the whereabouts of the Sceptre. The row has died down since reports came in that the oil was low-grade.
Top stories this week
- Navy dead not included in 2017 National Orders
- Sandu members back at work seven years after Union Buildings protest
- Feature: No golden bullet to eliminate poaching in the Kruger National Park
- SA Legion provides headstone for sailor’s Durban grave
- Nigerian Ports Authority seeks nine patrol boats to enhance port and harbour security
- UN horrified by DR Congo video of killings
- Discovery of more mass graves in DRC reveals ‘unfolding horror’
- South Sudan refugees release UN hostages
- DR Congo government returns tribal leader’s body to soothe tensions
- Mgwebi stays on as MONUSCO Force Commander
- DR Congo protests fail as opposition to Kabila splutters
- No change in SANDF deployment numbers for MONUSCO
- Tech firms must go beyond “conflict minerals” to clean supply chain
- Heavy security in DR Congo as opposition strikes over election delays
- UN Security Council agrees to lower troop cap for MONUSCO
SA landmine detection pioneer in big US defence contract
by DCD Protected Mobility, 21 April 2017
Boksburg-based DCD Protected Mobility will provide more than 20 of its Husky 2G landmine detection vehicles to the US Department of Defence.
Reutech's RSR 904 radar system used in anti-poaching initiatives in Kruger Park
by Reutech, 21 April 2017
The innovative Kruger Park surveillance technology, the Meerkat, stops poachers in their tracks.
Saab signs support contract extension with British Army
by Saab, 13 April 2017
The deal with the UK's Ministry of Defence includes the provision of support and services to the Direct Fire Weapon Effects Simulator capability.