Fact file: 4 SA Infantry Battalion
Written by Leon Engelbrecht, Monday, 01 March 2010
The unit converted to a mechanised role from 1982 and was upgraded to an operational mechanised battalion group, with an attached artillery battery and armoured squadron. From 1983, the unit used the moniker “62 Mechanised Battalion” when operationally deployed.
Troops were contributed to operations Dolfyn, Askari (14 soldiers killed in action), Alpha Centauri, Moduler (11 soldiers killed in action) and Hooper. During Hooper, 62 Mechanised also had a tank squadron from the School of Armour under command. Internal operations contributed to were Palmiet (support to police in the Gauteng region during 1984), Kharos (the same, but in the Eastern Cape in 1985), Pebble (countering guerrilla infiltration from Mozambique in 1985, 1986) as well as Windvleuel and Xenon in black townships in the now-Mpumalanga.
4SAI also supported the signing of the Nkomati accord between South Africa and Mozambique in March 1984 and took part in Exercise Thunder Chariot in September of that year. The exercise was, at the time, billed as the largest mobilisation of South African forces since World War Two.
Current role: Motorised infantry.
Current base: Middelburg, Mpumalanga
Top stories this week
- Ugandan women trafficked into sex work
- Uganda detains general critical of veteran leader
- Ugandan police chief accused of warning of war ahead of vote
- Uganda campaigners hope legal crackdown will stop acid attacks
- Hague prosecutors seek trial of Lord's Resistance Army ex-commander
- Suspected Ugandan rebels kill four soldiers in eastern DR Congo: army
- Uganda's Museveni accused of ordering violence against opponents
- U.S. Marines and Ugandan soldiers fortify engineering skills
- Pope in Africa will seek to bridge Christian-Muslim fault lines
- U.S. Marines training Ugandan military
Power of the Rooivalk on show during three-day demonstration
by Denel Corporate, 3 February 2016
The demonstration at the Denel Overberg Test Range will showcase the effectiveness of the Rooivalk deployed in tandem with the Denel Mokopa missile system.
Denel honours top-performing students who excel in science, technology
by Denel Corporate, 27 January 2016
Matriculants who participated in Denel's maths and science enrichment programmes received a 100% pass rate in the 2015 year-end exams.
Saab signs contract for Carl-Gustaf ammunition
by Saab, 13 January 2016
The total order value for the man-portable weapon system is about SEK1.4 billion. Information about the company will not be made public.