Fact file: Special Forces main equipment
Written by Leon Engelbrecht, Thursday, 17 December 2009
During Angolan war (1975 to 1989), the average weight carried was between 60 and 80kg. For long-range deployments this could escalate to 100kg. The Special Forces League estimates the heaviest kit carried was 130kg. During that conflict 95% of all Special Forces operations were carried out behind enemy lines – over distances of anything from 10 km to 2000 km.1
For some deployments the Special Forces have used Casspir mine-resistant armoured personnel carriers as well as the “‘Bat’ Rapid Response Vehicle”, a rough-and-ready air-portable 4x4 design manufactured by Denel Mechem to transport a team and its kit. This has now been replaced by the Hornet Rapid Deployment Reconnaissance Vehicles (RDRV). 4 SF Regt also owns a variety of rigid, semi rigid and inflatable boats for waterborne operations.
Known SF armament
The Special Forces displayed an array of weapons and equipment at the Africa Aerospace & Defence show in 2006. Arms on display included the:
- Accuracy International SK1 sniper rifle
- Heckler & Koch PSG Sniper Rifle
- Heckler & Koch G3 battle rifle
- Heckler & Koch HK33 assault rifle in 5.56mm and 7.62mm calibre.
- Heckler & Koch MP5 machine pistol (submachine gun)
Other weapons include the:
- Denel Land Systems NTW-20 anti-materiel rifle
Former Warsaw Pact equipment in use include:
- RPG-7 (Ruchnoy Protivotankovyy Granatomyot hand-held antitank grenade launcher in Russian, translated as Rocket Propelled Grenade)
- ZU-23-2 (Zenitnaya Ustanovka 23-2) anti aircraft gun
- KPV (Krupnokalibernyj Pulemet Vladimirova, Vladimirov large calibre machinegun) 14.5mm heavy machine gun
- PK and variants (Pulemyot Kalashnikova, Kalashnikov machine gun) 7.62x54R general purpose machine gun.
- RPD (Ruchnoy Pulemyot Degtyaryova, Degtyaryov light machine gun ) 7.62x39mm light machine gun.
- AK47 and variants (Avtomat Kalashnikova, Kalashnikov automatic rifle, 1947 model), 7.63x39mm.
- Casspir mine-resistant armoured personnel carriers
Gecko Rapid Deployment Logistic Vehicles (RDLV)
- SANDF to take part in special forces exercise in Angola
- Military mental toughness symposium
- Body of possible SANDF soldier found in Namibia
- Cultural rituals for drowned Special Forces operators
- Three SADC special forces members drown during Namibian exercise
- Chute Systems not just about parachutes
- Navistar Defence showcasing vehicles to SANDF
- 3 000 American soldiers to serve in Africa next year as US expands shadow war, sets up air bases
- Chute Systems - Quality military training & tactical gear manufacturers
- A bigger role for US Special Forces?
Airbus Defence and Space presents TH9, its new Tetra hand-portable radio with enhanced performance
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 25 November 2014
The Tetra hand-portable radio provides wider coverage, high output power, Bluetooth connectivity and location-based applications.
DSI successfully concludes African military contract
by Decisive Solutions International, 21 November 2014
Decisive Solutions International delivered the advisory services contract to the military of an African government six months ahead of time.
New radar ensures superiority of Eurofighter
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 21 November 2014
Airbus Defence and Space is playing a major role in the development and integration of the Captor-E radar.
The Atlantis Group extends Aviation business depth
by Atlantis Corporation, 19 November 2014
The dedicated aviation company, known as Atlantis Aviation, will serve new opportunities in the SADEC region.
Airbus Defence and Space awarded EUR13m periscope maintenance facility for India
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 19 November 2014
The company's Optronics business unit will deliver a periscope maintenance facility in Delhi for the Indian Ministry of Defence.
MD Helicopters awarded $5.1m logistics support contract for MD 530F primary training aircraft in service with Saudi Arabian National Guard
by Safomar Aviation, 19 November 2014
The company will support the MD 530F primary training helicopter fleet currently in service with the Saudi Arabian National Guard.