Fact file: Special Forces main equipment
Written by Leon Engelbrecht, Thursday, 17 December 2009
During Angolan war (1975 to 1989), the average weight carried was between 60 and 80kg. For long-range deployments this could escalate to 100kg. The Special Forces League estimates the heaviest kit carried was 130kg. During that conflict 95% of all Special Forces operations were carried out behind enemy lines – over distances of anything from 10 km to 2000 km.1
For some deployments the Special Forces have used Casspir mine-resistant armoured personnel carriers as well as the “‘Bat’ Rapid Response Vehicle”, a rough-and-ready air-portable 4x4 design manufactured by Denel Mechem to transport a team and its kit. This has now been replaced by the Hornet Rapid Deployment Reconnaissance Vehicles (RDRV). 4 SF Regt also owns a variety of rigid, semi rigid and inflatable boats for waterborne operations.
Known SF armament
The Special Forces displayed an array of weapons and equipment at the Africa Aerospace & Defence show in 2006. Arms on display included the:
- Accuracy International SK1 sniper rifle
- Heckler & Koch PSG Sniper Rifle
- Heckler & Koch G3 battle rifle
- Heckler & Koch HK33 assault rifle in 5.56mm and 7.62mm calibre.
- Heckler & Koch MP5 machine pistol (submachine gun)
Other weapons include the:
- Denel Land Systems NTW-20 anti-materiel rifle
Former Warsaw Pact equipment in use include:
- RPG-7 (Ruchnoy Protivotankovyy Granatomyot hand-held antitank grenade launcher in Russian, translated as Rocket Propelled Grenade)
- ZU-23-2 (Zenitnaya Ustanovka 23-2) anti aircraft gun
- KPV (Krupnokalibernyj Pulemet Vladimirova, Vladimirov large calibre machinegun) 14.5mm heavy machine gun
- PK and variants (Pulemyot Kalashnikova, Kalashnikov machine gun) 7.62x54R general purpose machine gun.
- RPD (Ruchnoy Pulemyot Degtyaryova, Degtyaryov light machine gun ) 7.62x39mm light machine gun.
- AK47 and variants (Avtomat Kalashnikova, Kalashnikov automatic rifle, 1947 model), 7.63x39mm.
- Casspir mine-resistant armoured personnel carriers
Gecko Rapid Deployment Logistic Vehicles (RDLV)
- SANDF to take part in special forces exercise in Angola
- Military mental toughness symposium
- Body of possible SANDF soldier found in Namibia
- Cultural rituals for drowned Special Forces operators
- Three SADC special forces members drown during Namibian exercise
- Chute Systems not just about parachutes
- Navistar Defence showcasing vehicles to SANDF
- 3 000 American soldiers to serve in Africa next year as US expands shadow war, sets up air bases
- Chute Systems - Quality military training & tactical gear manufacturers
- A bigger role for US Special Forces?
Welcome to Saab's yearly Gripen seminar in Stockholm
by Saab, 4 March 2015
The company will present an update on the current status of the Gripen programme at the seminar, in Stockholm, on 12 March.
European Data Relay System confirms services for Copernicus in co-operation with European Commission
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 26 February 2015
An agreement was reached with the European Commission for the provision of European Data Relay System services to the EU Copernicus programme
Paramount Group announces multi-million dollar contract for production of world-leading combat vehicles in Jordan
by Paramount Group, 25 February 2015
Paramount Group has been awarded a multi-million dollar contract for the production of the combat vehicles in Jordan.
Paramount Group to announce new deals, partnerships, technologies at IDEX 2015
by Paramount Group, 24 February 2015
The company will announce new deals, partnerships and technologies at the Middle East defence exhibition this week.
Poynting Holdings to acquire leading US-based antenna company, ARA
by Poynting Antennas, 20 February 2015
Antenna Research Associates is considered almost a replication of Poynting DS, but with more than 90% of sales being in the USA.
DSI offers sniper training with Braddick Mk X sniper rifles
by Decisive Solutions International, 17 February 2015
Decisive Solutions International has the agency and distributorship for the Braddick Mk X Special Forces Sniper Rifle, a .338 Lapua Magnum sniping system.