Monday, October 22, 2018
Subscription Centre
Receive our free e-newsletter.
Click here for more information

Libya oil output not affected by attack

NOC building attackLibya’s state oil firm NOC said it continued to manage operations normally throughout the country without loss of production after a shooting attack on its Tripoli headquarters.

The attack on Monday, claimed by Islamic State militants, killed two people and wounded 25.

NOC provides the bulk of the Libyan state’s income and, along with the Tripoli-based central bank, is one of the only state enterprises still functioning after years of armed factional conflict.

“The National Oil Corporation assures all citizens it has implemented contingency plans to deal with the crisis to ensure) production and daily operations continue on a regular basis,” NOC said in a statement.

“This attack did not cause a loss of production,” NOC chairman Mustafa Sonallah said in the statement, which did not reveal NOC’s current production level.

“However, it led to the shedding of Libyan blood,” Sonallah said, adding the attack “is indicative of weakness and fragility of security arrangements in the country”.

He said the current security vacuum “allows terrorist organisations to be present inside the country”.

Libya has been divided between rival governments and military factions based in the east and west of the country since 2014, causing political deadlock and an economic crisis.

The NOC continues to function relatively normally across Libya, which relies on oil exports for most of its income. Oil output has been hit by attacks on oil facilities and blockades, though last year it partially recovered to around a million barrels per day.


 

Company News