US to continue training regional troops to prevent LRA regrouping
About 100 US military personnel have been providing training to a regional force made up of soldiers from Uganda, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan and Central African Republic with intelligence, logistics and other support to track Kony's Lord's Resistance Army (LRA).
The rebel leader has been indicted by the International Criminal Court.
Last month, Washington said it was pulling its contingent out of operations against the LRA, saying the insurgent force had been "dramatically weakened".
"We obviously have concerns about the possibility of the LRA coming back to fruition," Marine General Thomas Waldhauser, the top US military commander overseeing troops in Africa, said in a telephone briefing.
READ MOREUganda winding down operations against Lord’s Resistance Army
Ugandan LRA fighter accused of raping and enlisting children
US imposes sanction on warlord Joseph Kony’s sons
Lord's Resistance Army
"We will continue to work with those countries with training and exercises ... because even though we are officially ending, we are certainly aware of the fact we do not want to leave a void there."
For nearly two decades, the LRA battled the government of Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni from bases in the north of the country and across the border in what is now South Sudan.
They were notorious for brutality and for kidnapping children for use as fighters and sex slaves.
In 2005, they were ejected from those bases and retreated to a lawless patch of jungle straddling the borders of South Sudan, Democratic Republic of Congo and Central African Republic (CAR).
Kampala announced this week it has also begun withdrawing troops from CAR, saying its decision to pull out was spurred on by "the realisation the mission to neutralise LRA has been successfully achieved."
Top stories this week
- Navy dead not included in 2017 National Orders
- Sandu members back at work seven years after Union Buildings protest
- Feature: No golden bullet to eliminate poaching in the Kruger National Park
- SA Legion provides headstone for sailor’s Durban grave
- Nigerian Ports Authority seeks nine patrol boats to enhance port and harbour security
- Contracts awarded up to August 12, 2011
- Tellumat focuses on customer independence at DSA 2010
- Airlink to connect PE, Mthatha
- SIA Solutions signs ATNS MoU
- SIA Solutions wins national SAAF tech maintenance deal
- Tellumat wins R41m air force extension
- Tellumat wins R41 million radar contract extension
- Tellumat to distribute SWE-DISH mobile broadband satellite system
- Tellumat secures defence order
- Tellumat buys stake in Denel unit
SA landmine detection pioneer in big US defence contract
by DCD Protected Mobility, 21 April 2017
Boksburg-based DCD Protected Mobility will provide more than 20 of its Husky 2G landmine detection vehicles to the US Department of Defence.
Reutech's RSR 904 radar system used in anti-poaching initiatives in Kruger Park
by Reutech, 21 April 2017
The innovative Kruger Park surveillance technology, the Meerkat, stops poachers in their tracks.
Saab signs support contract extension with British Army
by Saab, 13 April 2017
The deal with the UK's Ministry of Defence includes the provision of support and services to the Direct Fire Weapon Effects Simulator capability.