Cameroon orders internet restored to Anglophone region
Written by Reuters, Friday, 21 April 2017
Cameroonian forces cracked down on protests in the English-speaking region that erupted last October, beating and arresting protesters, some facing the death penalty in military courts.
The unrest has exposed national divisions between the regions of Cameroon historically colonised by the French and the British. It has also been a lightning rod for opposition to Biya's 35-year rule.
"It seems conditions preceding the suspension of the internet to that part of the national territory have changed," Communications Minister Issa Tchiroma said in a statement.
"The head of state therefore instructs the communications minister to re-establish internet connections in the north-west and south-west regions."
READ MORECameroon evolves to thwart Boko Haram’s changing tactics
Planners put final touches on Exercise Unified Focus 2017 in Cameroon
National divide exposed in Cameroon trial
Pulling the plug on the internet was a big blow for Cameroon's 'Silicon Mountain', as it is called locally, a cluster of tech start-ups in the region that had been flourishing prior to the crackdown.
At least six protesters were shot dead and hundreds others arrested during the challenge to state authority, prompting criticism from human rights groups.
Activists condemned the internet shutdown as a form of collective punishment.
At the end of World War One, the League of Nations divided the former German colony of Kamerun between allied French and British victors.
After independence in 1960, voters from the smaller English-speaking zone opted to join Cameroon rather than neighbouring Nigeria, but they have often felt marginalised by the Francophone government in Yaounde.
"Finally, it's back. I'm on Facebook right now, so I'm happy," said a user in Bamenda after the internet was restored. "Everyone is getting back in contact to let each other know the lines are OK."
Top stories this week
- Navy dead not included in 2017 National Orders
- Sandu members back at work seven years after Union Buildings protest
- Feature: No golden bullet to eliminate poaching in the Kruger National Park
- SA Legion provides headstone for sailor’s Durban grave
- Nigerian Ports Authority seeks nine patrol boats to enhance port and harbour security
SA landmine detection pioneer in big US defence contract
by DCD Protected Mobility, 21 April 2017
Boksburg-based DCD Protected Mobility will provide more than 20 of its Husky 2G landmine detection vehicles to the US Department of Defence.
Reutech's RSR 904 radar system used in anti-poaching initiatives in Kruger Park
by Reutech, 21 April 2017
The innovative Kruger Park surveillance technology, the Meerkat, stops poachers in their tracks.
Saab signs support contract extension with British Army
by Saab, 13 April 2017
The deal with the UK's Ministry of Defence includes the provision of support and services to the Direct Fire Weapon Effects Simulator capability.