Two Op Corona busts in a week for newly deployed Johannesburg Regiment
Written by Kim Helfrich, Wednesday, 19 April 2017
The first bust, executed in conjunction with police based at Mahamba police station, happened at a vehicle checkpoint on the N2 near the Mahamba border post.
“During a stop and search operation a silver Mercedes-Benz sedan was one of many vehicles stopped. A search brought to light two rhino horns with a combined value over more than R6 million,” SA National Defence Force (SANDF) Joint Operations Division, Staff Officer operational communications, Lieutenant Colonel Piet Paxton said.
The second success of the brief deployment to date came a day later during routine foot patrols. The patrols are a deterrent to would-be illegal border crossers and soldiers have previously managed to apprehend undocumented people as well as confiscate goods illegally destined for informal markets in South Africa. Sharp eyes from the patrol tasked with working the Mbuzini main road spotted so-called cigarette master boxes hidden in vegetation off the roadside.
A conservative estimate puts the value of the seized cigarettes at R90 000. The contraband was handed to customs officials at the Lebombo border post.
READ MORESA defence budget shrinks again
Contraband, dagga and illegals all grabbed in Op Corona net
Op Corona sees dagga and other contraband worth more than R77 million seized in 2016
“These two successes show the commitment of Johannesburg Regiment members, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Zwelibanzi Sithabathaba,” Captain Lwazi Malgas, staff officer operational communications at Mpumalanga Joint Tactical HQ, said.
Johannesburg Regiment replaced another Reserve Force unit, First City Regiment headquartered in Grahamstown, on the national border protection tasking Operation Corona along the South Africa/Mozambique/Swaziland borders.
Major General Roy Andersen, Chief Defence Reserves, said after a planning and budgeting work session in Durban in February “significant cuts” in man days for South Africa’s part-time soldiers could impact negatively on future Op Corona deployments, the majority of which are filled by Reserve Force units.
There are currently 14 companies deployed on border protection and the Estimates of National Expenditure (ENE) released during the national budget in February show no increase in boots on the ground patrolling South Africa’s borders for the current financial year.
Top stories this week
- At least 16 drown in migrant boat sinking
- Fewer migrants crossing Niger for Libya: IOM
- Puntland bomb kills six
- EU urged to save migrants, not patrol “make believe” border
- Gas pipeline to Libya’s Wafa oilfield closed
- More than 2,000 migrants rescued in dramatic day in Mediterranean
- Migrants traded in Libyan “slave markets” – claim
- AFRICOM holds forum to discuss migration challenges
- Three dead after Libya air strike
- Libya coastguard clashes with suspected smugglers
SA landmine detection pioneer in big US defence contract
by DCD Protected Mobility, 21 April 2017
Boksburg-based DCD Protected Mobility will provide more than 20 of its Husky 2G landmine detection vehicles to the US Department of Defence.
Reutech's RSR 904 radar system used in anti-poaching initiatives in Kruger Park
by Reutech, 21 April 2017
The innovative Kruger Park surveillance technology, the Meerkat, stops poachers in their tracks.
Saab signs support contract extension with British Army
by Saab, 13 April 2017
The deal with the UK's Ministry of Defence includes the provision of support and services to the Direct Fire Weapon Effects Simulator capability.