Morocco says arrests 15 for Islamic State links
The suspects had been active in Casablanca, Marrakech, Tangiers, and Agadir, among other cities, and were involved in inciting or threatening to carry out attacks, the interior ministry said in a statement carried by MAP state news agency.
"Certain individuals arrested acquired knowledge in making explosives and were in the process of acquiring material to make explosive charges to carry out terrorist operations targeting sensitive locations," the statement said.
It said one suspect was conducting surveillance in Casablanca with the intention of creating a video claiming an attack in the name of Islamic State. Other suspects had attempted to acquire firearms to target public figures.
A Moroccan security source previously told Reuters the government believes nearly 2,000 Moroccans have fought in Syria's war and in Iraq with Islamic State.
The source said around 200 were known to have returned home and all of them were arrested, mainly at the airport when their flights landed.
The North African kingdom has suffered attacks in the past by militants. In 2011 a blast in a cafe in Marrakesh killed 15 people including 10 foreigners. It was the worst attack since 2003, when suicide bombings killed more than 45 people in Casablanca.
- Turkey to open military base in Mogadishu
- Four months before starvation crisis point hits in Yemen and Somalia
- Somali PM names new cabinet
- Somali security forces that freed pirated ship say NATO must do more
- Somalia asks Saudi coalition to investigate refugee boat attack
- EU Navfor urges vigilance after Somali hijacking
- Somali pirates release hijacked ship and crew without ransom
- Somali Islamists let drought-hit civilians roam in search of food
- Somali force and pirates aboard hijacked vessel exchange fire
- Weapons build-up, anger fuel threat of Somali piracy renewal
Denel seeks closure on legality of Denel Asia JV
by Denel Corporate, 24 March 2017
The company has applied to the High Court of SA for an order declaring it obtained approval to form a joint venture with VR Laser Asia.
TactiCall system has quality, performance recognised by certification
by Saab, 23 March 2017
The Airwave certificate allows Saab to install and operate the TactiCall Dispatcher products at any UK customer using Airwave.
Saab receives order for AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP
by Saab, 22 March 2017
The AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP are lightweight, man-portable, fully disposable weapons characterised by ease of use and handling.
PAZ to extend Airbus radar satellites constellation for improved monitoring capabilities by end of 2017
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 22 March 2017
Hisdesat's PAZ will be positioned in the same orbit as TerraSAR-X and TanDEM-X, and form a high-resolution SAR satellite constellation with them.