Somali pirates release hijacked ship and crew without ransom
The release followed a gunfight earlier in the day between the pirates and the marine force and negotiations between the marine force, clan elders and pirates.
"There has been discussion after the gunfight of this afternoon. We pulled our forces back and the pirates went away," said Abdirahman Mohamud Hassan, director general of the maritime police force for Somalia's semi-autonomous northern region of Puntland.
A pirate confirmed the release was made without a ransom payment. In previous hijackings, many crews remained in captivity for years before a ransom was paid. Eight Iranians are still being held.
But the pirates said they agreed to forego a ransom after learning Somali businessmen had hired the ship taking oil from Djibouti to Mogadishu. Pirates have traditionally been wary of tangling with Somalia's powerful businessmen.
READ MORESomali force and pirates aboard hijacked vessel exchange fire
Weapons build-up, anger fuel threat of Somali piracy renewal
Pirates demand ransom for tanker seized off Somalia
"After we came to know Somali traders hired the oil tanker, we released it without a ransom," pirate Abdullahi told Reuters.
The release will be seen as a success for the regional Puntland government and its counter-piracy force, funded by the United Arab Emirates.
The hijacking was the first time Somali pirates have taken over a commercial ship since 2012 and followed an outpouring of anger by locals over foreign fishermen flooding into their waters. The Somalis are also angry with their government for licensing some of the ships.
The vessel was hijacked on Monday. Residents living near where it was being held said four civilians were injured by stray bullets during Thursday's gun battle.
In their heyday in 2011, Somali pirates launched 237 attacks off the coast of Somalia, data from the International Maritime Bureau showed, and held hundreds of hostages.
But attacks fell sharply after crews put safety measures into place and regional naval forces stepped up patrols. Some pirates returned to fishing and others became involved in smuggling people and weapons across the Red Sea to Yemen.
Top stories this week
- Navy dead not included in 2017 National Orders
- Sandu members back at work seven years after Union Buildings protest
- Feature: No golden bullet to eliminate poaching in the Kruger National Park
- SA Legion provides headstone for sailor’s Durban grave
- Nigerian Ports Authority seeks nine patrol boats to enhance port and harbour security
- Somalia's al Shabaab kills senior national security officer
- EU Navfor thwarts pirate attack
- Somalia executes four it says were al Shabaab fighters behind 2016 attack
- al Shabaab fighters killed by Kenyan forces in Somalia
- Puntland bomb kills six
- Increase in piracy off Somali could be tied to famine – US
- Famine fast becoming reality in Somalia and South Sudan
- Two killed in Mogadishu after firing mortar
- Somali forces clash with pirates, free Indian ship crew
- Somali security forces capture 10 pirates
SA landmine detection pioneer in big US defence contract
by DCD Protected Mobility, 21 April 2017
Boksburg-based DCD Protected Mobility will provide more than 20 of its Husky 2G landmine detection vehicles to the US Department of Defence.
Reutech's RSR 904 radar system used in anti-poaching initiatives in Kruger Park
by Reutech, 21 April 2017
The innovative Kruger Park surveillance technology, the Meerkat, stops poachers in their tracks.
Saab signs support contract extension with British Army
by Saab, 13 April 2017
The deal with the UK's Ministry of Defence includes the provision of support and services to the Direct Fire Weapon Effects Simulator capability.