Protection for Libyan oil ports
Idris Bukhamada, recently named by the Government of National Accord as the head of the Petroleum Facilities Guard, told local TV export operations at the ports were continuing and the oil was for all Libyans.
He was speaking after east Libyan forces carried out air strikes for a fifth day against Benghazi Defence Brigades (BDB), the faction that overran the ports. The eastern-based Libyan National Army and BDB have been battling in Libya's eastern Oil Crescent since Friday, threatening output from oil ports LNA seized in September.
A senior official from Libya's National Oil Corporation (NOC) said production had dipped by 35,000 barrels per day (bpd) due to the latest unrest, leaving national production at just over 660,000 bpd.
OPEC member Libya was producing more than 1.6 million bpd before a 2011 uprising led to political turmoil and conflict slashing output to a fraction of earlier levels.
READ MOREEast Libyan forces mobilising for counter attack on oil ports
East Libya forces resume air strikes against rivals
East Libyan forces conduct air strikes, clash with rivals near oil ports
"We have been tasked by BDB to protect oil ports," Bukhamada said, adding his oil guard belonged to the state and had no military mission.
"I reassure all companies and NOC partners export operations are continuing and have not stopped," he told Libyan TV channel Al Nabaa.
Since the BDB attacked on Friday, a front line has formed at the centre of the Oil Crescent, between the ports of Ras Lanuf and Brega. The Libyan National Army still controls Brega as well as a fourth port, Zueitina, to the north-east.
It says it is using air strikes to prepare for a counter-attack.
Libyan National Army spokesman Ahmed al-Mismari said the latest strikes hit targets from the BDB at Ras Lanuf and at Nawfiliya, 75 km to the west.
A resident and a military official in Ras Lanuf confirmed the air strikes, but said there had been no change in positions of rival factions on the ground.
A social media account used by BDB said the group "is protecting all its positions and controls the area from Nawfiliya to beyond Ras Lanuf".
The Libyan National Army ended long blockades at Zueitina, Ras Lanuf and Es Sider when it took over seven months ago, leading to a boost in oil production.
Es Sider and Ras Lanuf were badly damaged in previous fighting and are still operating below capacity.
The current battle threatens to inflame a long-running, low intensity conflict between political and military factions in eastern and western Libya, which the UN-backed government has failed to resolve.
The BDB is partly made up of fighters ousted from Benghazi by the Libyan National Army, whose commander Khalifa Haftar has been waging a three-year military campaign in the city against Islamists and other rivals.
On Tuesday 39 members of Libya's eastern parliament, aligned with the LNA, voted to withdraw from a UN-backed dialogue process following the BDB attack.
Top stories this week
- Navy dead not included in 2017 National Orders
- Sandu members back at work seven years after Union Buildings protest
- SA Legion provides headstone for sailor’s Durban grave
- Nigerian Ports Authority seeks nine patrol boats to enhance port and harbour security
- Nigerian Air Force inducts new Mi-35 attack helicopters
- At least 16 drown in migrant boat sinking
- Syrian army advances along vital highway in rebel-held Hama province
- Situation in Syria constitutes international armed conflict - Red Cross
- U.S. fires missiles at Assad airbase, escalating tensions with Russia
- White smoke signalled gas attack on Syrian town
- Syria's warring sides trade insults after Geneva talks
- Turkey ends Euphrates Shield operation
- Islamic State tunnels under al-Bab point to hard fighting ahead
- U.S.-backed Syrian militia makes gains against Islamic State
- How to fix war-torn societies? Help women to work
SA landmine detection pioneer in big US defence contract
by DCD Protected Mobility, 21 April 2017
Boksburg-based DCD Protected Mobility will provide more than 20 of its Husky 2G landmine detection vehicles to the US Department of Defence.
Reutech's RSR 904 radar system used in anti-poaching initiatives in Kruger Park
by Reutech, 21 April 2017
The innovative Kruger Park surveillance technology, the Meerkat, stops poachers in their tracks.
Saab signs support contract extension with British Army
by Saab, 13 April 2017
The deal with the UK's Ministry of Defence includes the provision of support and services to the Direct Fire Weapon Effects Simulator capability.