Algerian army kills five Islamist militants
Five Kalashnikov rifles and a quantity of ammunition were also recovered during the operation by the army on Wednesday in the Bouira province, the statement said.
Bouira was inside a stronghold for Islamist militants during a war with between government and fighters in the 1990s that left 200,000 people dead.
Violence has declined in Algeria since then. But al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and small bands of militants allied to Islamic State have been active in some remote mountains and in the southern desert border regions.
Top stories this week
- Damen and SA Shipyards in the lead to build new Navy hulls
- Transporter rolls on Oliviershoek Pass, loses Olifant main battle tank
- SANDF personnel killed in Naval Base Durban accident
- Five SA Navy vessels in Durban for Armed Forces Day, but no frigate
- Mapisa-Nqakula has ordered an investigation into military deployment at SONA
- Military investigating South Sudan gang rape claim
- Two top South Sudan military court officials resign
- South Sudan general resigns ministerial post, defects to rebels
- Four famines mean 20 million may starve in the next six months
- Planners put final touches on Exercise Unified Focus 2017 in Cameroon
- Cash crunch driving South Sudan troops and families to the edge
- RAF airlift assistance for French counter-insurgency ops in Africa
- South Sudanese general quits, cites army abuses and ethnic bias
- In setback for Trump, U.S. judges reject travel ban
- NATO allies lock in U.S. support for stand-off with Russia
Saab partners with Hindustan Aeronautics for transfer of technology
by Saab, 20 February 2017
Saab Grintek Defence and HAL's Avionics Division have signed a contract to deliver transfer of technology between SA and India.
Alaris Antennas experiences unprecedented success with DF-A0037
by Alaris Antennas, 17 February 2017
The DF-A0037 is a vehicle and marine-based direction-finding antenna solution suitable for rugged applications.
Successful launch, delivery of 27m ferry
by Nautic Africa, 17 February 2017
Nautic celebrates the launch of the first 27m ferry for its partners in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, CITRANS.