Eight sailors kidnapped by Nigerian pirates
They were taken from their cargo vessel BBC Caribbean last week, according to the Russian embassy in the West African nation. The vessel is owned by Dutch company Briese Shipping B.V. and flagged in Antigua and Barbuda.
The vessel was 45 nautical miles southwest of Brass near the Pennington Oil Terminal, according to TASS, when it was approached by a skiff with armed men on board who subsequently opened fire.
On 27 November 2016, three Russian sailors were kidnapped from the Saronic Breeze after it was attacked in Benin’s territorial waters. The sailors were freed on 20 December.
Last week the Nigerian Navy reported it had saved the Mt Gaz Providence oil tanker on Tuesday, reacting to a distress call after the ship with a crew of 21 was attacked off southern Bonny Island, reports Associated Press.
READ MOREOperation Atalanta Warship ESPS Relampago trains with AMISOM’s Marine Unit
Global piracy down in 2016, but kidnappings at sea up - IMB report
EU extends Somalia missions
In a second incident, the Nigerian Navy said it had chased off pirates trying to hijack the oil tanker Mt Rio Spirit after the vessel had loaded petroleum at ExxonMobil's Qua Iboe terminal, about 100 kilometers west of Bonny Island.
- Turkey to open military base in Mogadishu
- Four months before starvation crisis point hits in Yemen and Somalia
- Somali PM names new cabinet
- Somali security forces that freed pirated ship say NATO must do more
- Somalia asks Saudi coalition to investigate refugee boat attack
- EU Navfor urges vigilance after Somali hijacking
- Somali pirates release hijacked ship and crew without ransom
- Somali Islamists let drought-hit civilians roam in search of food
- Somali force and pirates aboard hijacked vessel exchange fire
- Weapons build-up, anger fuel threat of Somali piracy renewal
Denel seeks closure on legality of Denel Asia JV
by Denel Corporate, 24 March 2017
The company has applied to the High Court of SA for an order declaring it obtained approval to form a joint venture with VR Laser Asia.
TactiCall system has quality, performance recognised by certification
by Saab, 23 March 2017
The Airwave certificate allows Saab to install and operate the TactiCall Dispatcher products at any UK customer using Airwave.
Saab receives order for AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP
by Saab, 22 March 2017
The AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP are lightweight, man-portable, fully disposable weapons characterised by ease of use and handling.
PAZ to extend Airbus radar satellites constellation for improved monitoring capabilities by end of 2017
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 22 March 2017
Hisdesat's PAZ will be positioned in the same orbit as TerraSAR-X and TanDEM-X, and form a high-resolution SAR satellite constellation with them.