DR Congo says M23 fighters captured downed air crew
The crew members were taken alive and handed to the M23 movement's military chief, Sultani Makenga, the army's General Leon Mushale told reporters in the eastern city of Goma.
Mushale said the fourth crew member was still missing.
The incident could point to a resurgence in activity by M23 fighters more than three years after the group was crushed by the army and herald renewed instability in eastern Congo where dozens of armed groups fight for control of mineral resources.
Elie Mutela, a senior representative of M23's political wing in Uganda, denied its fighters were in Congo.
READ MORETwo Mi-24s crash in the DRC
Uganda detain M23 rebels travelling to DR Congo
Congo government says M23 rebel fighters cross over border from Uganda
Opponents have accused government of exaggerating a revival of the M23 rebel group to deflect attention from President Joseph Kabila, who remains in power after the official end of his mandate.
There have, however, been persistent reports of renewed M23 activity.
Makenga fled with hundreds of his men to Uganda in November 2013 after his forces were routed by Congolese and UN troops, ending a two-year insurgency during which they controlled huge swaths of eastern Congo and briefly captured Goma.
He had been under watch by Ugandan security forces in Kampala, but a Ugandan army spokesman on Tuesday told Reuters Makenga was "missing".
Fighters loyal to Makenga were held in camps for demobilised fighters after their 2013 defeat, though Congolese officials said earlier this month a number had crossed back into Congo.
Uganda was accused by UN experts of helping to arm M23 rebels during their insurgency, allegations which Uganda denied.
- North West govt calls for calm in Lichtenburg, Blydeville
- SA Legion provides headstone for sailor’s Durban grave
- Sandu members back at work seven years after Union Buildings protest
- Puntland bomb kills six
- New Milkor shareholder application pending at NCACC
- Military Ombud signs MOU with Public Service Commission
- Journalists take SA government to court over spying
- SAS Amatola almost back in SA
- Defence Sector Charter awaits the attention of the Trade and Industry Minister
- Police arrest suspect in connection with 9 SAI weapons theft
SA landmine detection pioneer in big US defence contract
by DCD Protected Mobility, 21 April 2017
Boksburg-based DCD Protected Mobility will provide more than 20 of its Husky 2G landmine detection vehicles to the US Department of Defence.
Reutech's RSR 904 radar system used in anti-poaching initiatives in Kruger Park
by Reutech, 21 April 2017
The innovative Kruger Park surveillance technology, the Meerkat, stops poachers in their tracks.
Saab signs support contract extension with British Army
by Saab, 13 April 2017
The deal with the UK's Ministry of Defence includes the provision of support and services to the Direct Fire Weapon Effects Simulator capability.