Iraqi forces push further into north-east Mosul
The elite Counter Terrorism Service (CTS) pushed into the north-eastern Sadeeq neighbourhood, officers on the ground said.
A Reuters reporter in eastern Mosul said CTS forces were engaged in clashes in Sadeeq and were firing into neighbouring Hadba, where their units had been fighting the day before.
Securing Hadba, Sadeeq and other nearby districts will allow CTS to advance further towards the Tigris, control of whose eastern bank will be crucial to launching attacks on western Mosul. Islamic State still holds all Mosul districts west of the river.
Forces also clashed with militants further south, a military statement said, seeking to build on gains along the river bank, which they reached last week for the first time in the nearly three month campaign.
READ MOREIraq special forces advance in east Mosul, close to linking with army
Iraqi forces reach Tigris in Mosul as suicide bombs hit Baghdad
Iraqi general says 70 percent of east Mosul retaken from Islamic State
The US-backed offensive to drive Islamic State out of Mosul, its last major Iraq stronghold, involves a 100,000-strong force of Iraqi troops, Kurdish fighters and Shi'ite militias.
The ultra-hardline Sunni group's loss of the northern city would probably spell the end of the Iraqi side of its self-styled caliphate, which spans parts of Iraq and Syria.
- Armed man arrested trying to enter Tunisian parliament
- Des Barker leaves the CSIR but will keep on flying
- SA Air Force celebrates first African female C-130 commander
- Minister confirms 35 Squadron grounded
- Shrinking budget hits SA Navy operations
- Parliament hears it’s more dangerous being a farmer than a policeman
- SpaceX defeats Boeing-Lockheed partnership for GPS launch contract
- Is funding for a new VIP aircraft coming from the SDA, DA asks
- Armscor knows “nothing” about any new VVIP aircraft acquisition
- Parliament will debate farm attacks and murders
Airbus Defence and Space appoints four new executive committee members
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 28 March 2017
Jana Rosenmann, Grazia Vittadini, Bernhard Brenner and Peter Weckesser join the executive committee.
Denel seeks closure on legality of Denel Asia JV
by Denel Corporate, 24 March 2017
The company has applied to the High Court of SA for an order declaring it obtained approval to form a joint venture with VR Laser Asia.
TactiCall system has quality, performance recognised by certification
by Saab, 23 March 2017
The Airwave certificate allows Saab to install and operate the TactiCall Dispatcher products at any UK customer using Airwave.