U.S. Navy destroyer fires warning shots at Iranian vessels
The officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the USS Mahan established radio communication with the boats but they did not respond to requests to slow down and instead continued asking the Mahan questions. The Navy destroyer fired warning flares and a U.S. Navy helicopter also dropped a smoke float before the warning shots were fired.
The Iranian vessels came within 900 yards (800 meters) of the Mahan, which was escorting two other U.S. military ships, they said.
The IRGC was not immediately available for comment.
The incident comes as President-elect Donald Trump is about to take office on Jan. 20. In September, Trump vowed that any Iranian vessels that harass the U.S. Navy in the Gulf would be "shot out of the water."
One official said similar incidents occur occasionally. Most recently in August, another U.S. Navy ship fired warning shots towards an Iranian fast-attack craft that approached two U.S. ships.
The official added that the warning shots were just one of seven interactions the Mahan had with Iranian vessels over the weekend, but the others were judged to be safe.
- Morocco says arrests 15 for Islamic State links
- Trump eyes 'flexible' Islamic State war fund, Guantanamo upgrade
- Mosul battle reaching final stages
- Iraqi general says 30 percent of west Mosul recaptured from Islamic State
- Tunnels under ancient Mosul mosque show Islamic State's focus on loot
- Iraq security forces take Mosul's main government complex, museum building
- Islamic State militants being killed at level they cannot sustain
- Iraqi army controls main roads out of Mosul, trapping Islamic State
- Tunisia says six guards charged in 2015 hotel attack probe
- Last letters - From Mosul schoolboys to Islamic State 'martyrs'
Denel seeks closure on legality of Denel Asia JV
by Denel Corporate, 24 March 2017
The company has applied to the High Court of SA for an order declaring it obtained approval to form a joint venture with VR Laser Asia.
TactiCall system has quality, performance recognised by certification
by Saab, 23 March 2017
The Airwave certificate allows Saab to install and operate the TactiCall Dispatcher products at any UK customer using Airwave.
Saab receives order for AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP
by Saab, 22 March 2017
The AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP are lightweight, man-portable, fully disposable weapons characterised by ease of use and handling.
PAZ to extend Airbus radar satellites constellation for improved monitoring capabilities by end of 2017
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 22 March 2017
Hisdesat's PAZ will be positioned in the same orbit as TerraSAR-X and TanDEM-X, and form a high-resolution SAR satellite constellation with them.