U.S. Navy destroyer fires warning shots at Iranian vessels
The officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the USS Mahan established radio communication with the boats but they did not respond to requests to slow down and instead continued asking the Mahan questions. The Navy destroyer fired warning flares and a U.S. Navy helicopter also dropped a smoke float before the warning shots were fired.
The Iranian vessels came within 900 yards (800 meters) of the Mahan, which was escorting two other U.S. military ships, they said.
The IRGC was not immediately available for comment.
The incident comes as President-elect Donald Trump is about to take office on Jan. 20. In September, Trump vowed that any Iranian vessels that harass the U.S. Navy in the Gulf would be "shot out of the water."
One official said similar incidents occur occasionally. Most recently in August, another U.S. Navy ship fired warning shots towards an Iranian fast-attack craft that approached two U.S. ships.
The official added that the warning shots were just one of seven interactions the Mahan had with Iranian vessels over the weekend, but the others were judged to be safe.
Top stories this week
- Damen and SA Shipyards in the lead to build new Navy hulls
- Five SA Navy vessels in Durban for Armed Forces Day, but no frigate
- SANDF personnel killed in Naval Base Durban accident
- Mapisa-Nqakula has ordered an investigation into military deployment at SONA
- Military Ombud success rate passes the 1 500 case mark
- Islamic State readies for close combat in alleyways of west Mosul
- Islamic State posts video of man it says was Egypt church bomber
- Islamic State moves to Libya’s desert valleys after Sirte defeat
- Turkish-led forces advance into outskirts of Syrian city
- Iraqi forces wage psychological war with jihadist corpses
- Islamic State sees chance to revive fortunes in Trump presidency
- Islamic State encircled in Syria's al-Bab after army advance
- Fear in interrogation room, death in the street: Iraq roots out Islamic State
- Rowboats and missiles in war of attrition on Iraq front line
- Islamic State extending attacks to Egyptian heartland
Invitation to Saab's annual Gripen seminar
by Saab, 22 February 2017
The media, financial analysts and investors have been asked to attend the seminar in Stockholm, Sweden, on 15 March.
Saab launches CoastControl, next level of Coastal Security, at IDEX 2017
by Saab, 21 February 2017
CoastControl combines surveillance and communications products with a workflow management tool to help coastal security personnel stay ahead of any situation.
Saab to deliver CBRN equipment to INTERPOL
by Saab, 21 February 2017
The CBRN sampling equipment and a certified transport packaging container will be delivered to INTERPOL's BioTerrorism Prevention Unit.
Saab partners with Hindustan Aeronautics for transfer of technology
by Saab, 20 February 2017
Saab Grintek Defence and HAL's Avionics Division have signed a contract to deliver transfer of technology between SA and India.