Former Chad leader seeks to annul war crimes court verdict
Habre was sentenced to life imprisonment in May for ordering killings and torture during his eight-year rule as president of Chad, which ended in 1990. His trial and conviction in Senegal was widely hailed as a moment of hope for African justice.
But Habre's defence lawyers on Monday asked for a new trial, arguing the composition of the jury and other irregularities violated Habre's rights.
"The decisions must be annulled and invalidated," said Habre's lawyer Mounir Ballal. "I am not proud of the conditions in which the accused was tried."
One of the judges did not have the 10 years experience needed to sit on the special tribunal, set up by Senegal and the African Union, defence lawyers said. They say this invalidates the outcome.
READ MOREChad shuts border with Libya
\'Hopeless\' suffering in Lake Chad as children starve, mothers sell sex to survive
Boko Haram fighters surrender in Chad – sources
However, American lawyer Reed Brody, who worked with Habre's victims for 18 years said the chances of overturning the conviction are very slim.
"I think the defence is grasping at straws," he said.
Habre, who fled to Senegal after being ousted in a coup, was not present for the appeal. The court is expected to give a final decision in April that cannot be reversed.
- ISS: Why policing is key for Africa’s peace and development
- ISS: Why are South Africans underreporting on crime?
- ISS: There’s more to Cameroon’s protest than meets the eye
- ISS: Military policing of Parliament: what does SA law say?
- ISS: Is Lesotho about to plunge into chaos again?
- ISS: Boko Haram in 2016 - a highly adaptable foe
- ISS: Mohammed goes to the mountain
- ISS: Peace in Mali - one step forward, two steps back
- ISS: 28th AU Summit - ECOWAS raised the bar, but will others follow?
- ISS: 28th AU Summit - Alarm bells beyond the Gambia
Denel seeks closure on legality of Denel Asia JV
by Denel Corporate, 24 March 2017
The company has applied to the High Court of SA for an order declaring it obtained approval to form a joint venture with VR Laser Asia.
TactiCall system has quality, performance recognised by certification
by Saab, 23 March 2017
The Airwave certificate allows Saab to install and operate the TactiCall Dispatcher products at any UK customer using Airwave.
Saab receives order for AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP
by Saab, 22 March 2017
The AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP are lightweight, man-portable, fully disposable weapons characterised by ease of use and handling.